In 2015 we began working with an incredible organization called WhyHunger. For those that aren’t familiar with this amazing nonprofit, WhyHunger’s mission is to provide critical resources to support grassroots movements and fuel community solutions rooted in social, environmental, racial and economic justice. They are working to end hunger and advance the human right to nutritious food in the U.S. and around the world.
Every purchase of ONEHOPE sparkling wine helps support WhyHunger with over 2,758,428 meals donated to date. We’re proud to support a cause that provides something so essential to children in need that we often take for granted. This month we asked Debbie DePoala, the Senior Director of Communications at WhyHunger, to guest blog for us about their latest campaign to help provide summer meals to kids who need it most. Learn more below!
Summer Food Service Program
Did you know that summer is the hungriest time of the year for kids and teens across the United States? Each year, more than 30 million children rely on free or reduced-price school meals to get the nutrition they need throughout the day. When school is out for the summer, children and teens miss out on those healthy meals to power them through the week and childhood hunger rates spike.
That’s why WhyHunger is teaming up with the USDA’s Summer Food Service Program and hundreds of partners across the country to offer free, healthy meals all summer long to kids and teens. Last year, the program provided more than 1.5 million nutritious meals and snacks to kids and teens in need during the summer at schools, camps and community centers.
This important program provides essential nutrition to kids and teens absolutely free – there are no income requirements or forms to fill out.
To find your closest Summer Food Service Program summer meals location:
- Call the WhyHunger Hotline at 1-800-5HUNGRY (1-800-548-6479) for service in both Spanish and English. The hotline is open Monday through Friday, from 9:00am EDT to 6:00pm EDT
- Text “summer” and your zip code to 1-800-548-6479 to get a location instantly
- Visit whyhunger.org/summermeals to find a location online
Help more families learn about this program and where to get meals locally! We need your help to spread the word about summer meals to ensure that all children and teens have access to safe and nutritious meals all summer long. Nutritious food is a human right and there are steps you can take to make sure all children have the food they need to grow, learn and thrive this summer.
How You Can Help
- Spread the word to your network and community on your social media accounts using #SummerMealsRock or sharing WhyHunger’s posts.
- Donate to support WhyHunger’s Hotline and online database, which not only power this summer program, but help connect kids, teens, and families to nutritious food all year long.
- Volunteer! Find a local food access organization near you to give your time and talents. Search our database then reach out to ask what type of help they may need.
Thank you for helping us fight childhood hunger!
-Debbie DePoala, Senior Director of Communications at WhyHunger